Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Madrid to San Sebastian

I sweat the details, so traveling on the Camino is like shock therapy.  This morning,  we're flying to San Sebastian and we plan to take a bus from the airport to the hotel there.

We had to check our backpacks,  so I'm already stressed out.  This could be a very short trek if they don't show up.

Our itinerary for today is to buy runners' compression socks for Tina and  a pocket knife for our snacks. Not expecting to check bags, I left my Swiss Army knife in Madrid. 

Tomorrow,  Wednesday, we're going to start our walking a day early by taking the first morning train to Irún and walking back to San Sebastian.  Why the change in plans? Well, Thursday was the only day we could get a reservation at this fancy restaurant that we love.  (I know. That doesn't sound like Pilgrim behavior.  I know!)

San Sebastian is a beautiful coastal city with picturesque beaches and amazing food.  That's why we figured we'd spend some extra time there at the start.  (I just couldn't get a Wednesday restaurant reservation! )
Tina on "la Concha" in San Sebastian 

The real challenge starts on Friday when we see if we're up to that itinerary I published.  We trained plenty, but Tina started to get this awful hiker's rash on her calves that the compression socks are meant to address.  This could be a deal breaker. 

Epilog: It's pushing 11 PM, and the boss is asleep.  Everything's gone according to plan except I seem to have lost my toothpaste between Madrid and here!

Tomorrow,  we'll be on a 6:15 AM train to Irún to start our first stage.  I'll let Tina tell you how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment