Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Day 27: I probably overdid it.

My albergue was really nice, and I actually got a good night's sleep, but it was no accident. 

I selected a bed by one of the windows, and since the place wasn't full, people spread out in the dormitory.   As bedtime approached,  I noticed that the other windows had somehow shut, but not mine.

I went to bed with eyeshades on, but every time I heard a noise, I checked my window.   If there was going to be a window closing fairy, I was going to catch her how you catch the tooth fairy. 

She never came and the sauna never developed. 

One of the hospitaliers, Martin, set his alarm for 5:45 AM so he could make me coffee.  This may be the best albergue ever.  It was also a donativo,  so you give what you can.
Leaving a little town is darker than starting out from larger places.  There are no skylines this morning. 

The freakiest thing happened.  I'm following the markers, which were few, I have my Camino app open to make sure,  and the physical presence of a road, rut or path is my confirmation... until I found myself entering a barren rocky area. Where's the path? No idea.
Here's a picture from the second time it happened.  There are places in the forest where what I guess were lava flows have created large barren expanses.  You just have to cross and hope you connect to your route.  It was easier the second time.

Today's plan was to walk 25 kilometers to a town named Sobrado dos Monxes and then another 12 to Boimorto. That's a long way, but I've got all day, right?
It was chilly, and you could see your breath-in July! I kept my hoodie on until the afternoon. I have gloves in the backpack,  but I didn't want to empty everything just to find them.  The wind was keeping the windmills turning. 
It was beautiful.   About ten kilometers into it, after passing two albergues,  other pilgrims finally appeared. 
It's a good thing Martin made me coffee, because the first refreshment break was at 10:45 in the town of Meson, 20 kilometers into the walk. I was dragging. 
I had a bite before snapping the shot. Sorry. The caffeine and protein had the desired, and I started zipping along like an idiot.

Five kilometers later was the cool town of Sobrado dos Monxes. I refilled my water bottles in the main square,
checked the route, and roared out of town. I snapped this on the way out:
The town is dominated by an enormous monastery,  but did I investigate?  Nope. I had places to go.

Five kilometers later, about 30 K into this walk, my right knee starts complaining as I walk uphill. That's not good.  There's 7 more today, and 50 more over the next two  days.

I start walking (uphill) like Frankenstein.  It looks stupid,  but it works. If you don't bend your knee, it can't complain,  right?

Here's the real answer.  After 50,761 steps, my knee has had enough. Period.  I'm going to chill out until tomorrow,  get a later start, and not push it.

Tomorrow,  I walk to Arca. It's about 29 kilometers.  I hope my knee doesn't have other ideas.  Oh, yeah,  it's our anniversary, and Tina's flying in to Santiago to wait for me.  I can't pull up lame now!

I'll let you know what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment